Monday, October 22, 2007

Songs in my Head

Finally a cooler morning to run. Since I am not training for anything right now, my workouts have not exactly been focused. I have to admit that I like not having focused workouts. It nice to find the fun in my work outs again.

My alarm went off this morning at 0450, I turned it off with the intention of going back to sleep. However, my bladder had other ideas. So did get up and I am glad I did. Those days you have hard workouts, I don’t really have time or the inclination to think much. Today was an iPod day with nothing but 80s songs.

I started out with a little “Girls with Guns” by Tommy Shaw. I first heard this song on an episode of Miami Vice. This song always reminds me of driving too fast in my Camero as I raced a buddy of mine through the early morning streets of my hometown.

Then I had a long set of Survivor power ballads. These were high school dance songs (remember those?). The most vivid memory related this set was a church retreat I went on and met a very pretty girl. We exchanged letters on and off for years. I wonder what happened to her.

I finished up with a couple by Prince, “When Dove’s Cry” and Darlin’ Nikki”. The first thought that popped into my head was my parent’s old conversion van. It had a groovin’ stereo. I would sit in the van (I was 14 and really wanted that learner’s permit) and listen to that cassette over and over. For a boy 14 going on 28, Prince was awesome. That van was traded in so that I could get a brand new Jeep CJ7 Renegade. I really wish I still had Jeep—that’s a story for another day.

So all in all it was a very happy 4.3 miles on this cool October morning. Who says that running is not fun?


View Larger Map

2 comments:

GetBackJoJo said...

Hi Kevin,
Funny--I listened to Survivor love ballads today too! Good to know I'm not the only one out there... (but should we be admitting this??) Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog.
Best, Mary

Jenn said...

I've got a great two disc collection called Power Ballads Gold ... an awesome mix of hair metal that I just can't get enough of!