Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Getting back into the swing of things

We all know how good we feel after a workout.  Especially a hard on.  We also know that there are some days it takes all we have to get out the door, or in some cases out of the bed.  November and December were difficult months for me to get my ass in gear.  I knew I would feel better, but that damn couch was so comfortable.  Now that I am back at work getting up in the morning and making the time, both before and after work, to get in my workouts has actually been easier than when I had all the time in the world.  I tend to do much better when I have constraints on my time.  I have to manage my life better. I actually get more accomplished and don’t feel so overwhelmed. 

Sunday morning was my longest ride on the trainer to date.  It was 15 miles, which isn’t that far, but I have been doing 30-40 minutes in the morning before work.  This was about a 50 min workout.  I broke a good sweat and thankfully Jack Bauer was able to make headway during that hour.  Monday morning I was up about 0445 and hit the road.  I did a little less than 4 miles.  I know I am starting to get back in shape when that run starts to feel good.  The down side of that was about a mile from the house, I started feeling “that rumbling” down in the belly.  I walked for a couple of minutes until it subsided, then I started back off at a faster pace.  It then started to me again.  Luckily, I made it home just in the nick of time. 

Today I was back in the pool.  I did 2200 meets in roughly 50-55 minutes.  I forgot my watch.  Silly me.  The main set was a pyramid of 4x50, 2x100, 1x200, 2x100, and 4x50.  I was happy that I was able to keep the 50s at about 45 seconds and the 100s at about 1:40.

I have promised some photos of the “Man Room”, so here they are.    The TV mounted over the desk is a godsend when I am working out or the bride has taken over the TV in Man-Room-2Man-Room-1

the den and is watching some crazy Red Carpet Special or those moronic “housewives”.  I can retreat to my retreat and watch sports or my military and history channels.  Speaking of history on television—if you are folks with a TV in your room I highly recommend “The States” or “The Presidents” from the History channel to help you fall asleep. 

I hope everyone has a great week and keep up the hard work.

4 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

Nice pad! I think it's awesome that you label yourself as a lazy triathlete! It sounds like you're just the opposite of that if you're getting up at 4:45am to workout! Way to go! You give me great motivation. And, I think I'll have to put a little 24 on the screen as I'm on the trainer. That sounds like interesting entertainment to spin to. Good luck with your training!

Matt
go-smitty-go.blogspot.com

it's all about pace said...

if you can pack as much into an hour as Jack Bauer can... you are doing great!

Christi said...

Thanks for the suggestion for falling to sleep! I will check out the history channel.

rocketpants said...

Glad to see that you are getting back into everything. Thanks for stopping by my blog!