Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Joys of Command

This morning I was back in the pool for the first time in almost three weeks. We have a new swim coach who has a very different approach to coaching that the our previous one. I think it will be a very good change. We did a bunch of breast and back today. I don't really care for either stroke (read-I am not that good at them) but the breast stroke does work other muscle groups. Even with my slow ass breast and back stroke thrown in there I managed 2400 yards in about 51 minutes. I was pretty happy.

The bigger news is that I have been conducting change of command inventories for my new adventure in the Army. I was chosen last month to be the Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC) Commander for the 354th Civil Affairs Brigade. For those of you that don't know much about the Army, all the equipment has to be accounted for and signed by the new commander. The missing stuff has to be found or the old commander may end up paying for it. So this week I have been counting all sorts of things. Weapons, sleeping bags, Hummers, computers, you name it and I probably counted it.

I am very excited about this opportunity for the simple fact that I have a lot of respect for the the commander. He is definitely one of the good ones. On Sunday, we are having the official ceremony where the guidon is passed from the outgoing commander to the incoming commander (me). I have a number of friends and some family coming to ceremony. My wife and her mother really know nothing about the military. So it will be an eye opening experience, especially for my wife. LOL.

Here is a video I found of the unit the last time they were deployed.

6 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Congrats, that's a big honor! Where I work has the change of command ceremony in two weeks. I'm gonna miss the current CO as he's great (and a very avid runner). :(

Lesser is More said...

Congrats! Thats a great video too.

Xena said...

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! It will be the hardest job you will ever love.

354th CA BDE is good unit. Good luck. HHC Command is harder than Line unit commander. You got big challenge ahead of you.

triguyjt said...

very cool..congrats!!!!


pssst...can you drop me one of those Hummers when no one's looking????

;)

CoachLiz said...

Did you happen to count any good tri bikes, wetsuits, or slightly used tri gear???

Good to hear you are back in the pool.